Thursday, April 9, 2009

My 3 artworks...

So, for my 3 pieces of modern art from both the Saatchi and Tate Modern I have chosen:

Yves Tanguy, The Invisibles
http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ViewWork?cgroupid=999999961&workid=14119&searchid=10404

As I walked through the Tate this piece simply struck me and I had to walk back to it not once but several times. It was hung high and it seemed to beckon me to look at the intriguing shapes and arrangements from throughout the room. Something about the sharp lines combined with the nearly animistic shapes really made me wonder what it all meant. To this question I have no answer...

Unfortunately, I cannot find my second most interesting piece of art online so I am going to venture back to the Tate in the near future to take down the name of the sculpture. It was a relatively small piece, perhaps 2-3 feet tall and it featured a self standing metal piece that stuck out of a wooden base. This metal surface peaked then flowed into a U-shaped piece with connecting strands of chord that formed a complicated by yet uniform pattern. At first I wrote the piece of as a simple and basic sculpture with no real complexity to it. However, ever since I left the museum I could not stop thinking about the piece.

Unfortunately I don't know the name of the piece or the author but I'm sure Professor Manley can help me on this one...

This picture was all at once comical and serious, complex and simple. The pose and the ridiculousness of the vacuum cleaner made the picture comical, but this was offset by the woman's expression and the opulent background and garb. The picture appears to be very complex and detailed at first with the elaborate background and rug, but upon examination you can see that the backdrop is simply a drop cloth and this makes the picture seem far less formal. In all I think the piece is a great example of women's desire to leave the roles they have been caste into.

2 comments:

  1. Gustav, Awesome start! Good work! (But you are on your own with the identifiers! :)) Best, geocacher, Carharty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gus, Get those identifiers! It's not finished until they are in place. Best, JM

    ReplyDelete